The Masonic Lodge in Oshkosh dates back to April 1849. A number of buildings have housed the organization over the years, each larger than its predecessor. By 1923, there were two Masonic Lodges and two York Rite bodies, with a total membership around 1000, plus an Eastern Star chapter and youth groups. That fall, land on the corner of Washington and Mount Vernon was purchased. The architectural firm of Auler and Jensen designed the building. The cornerstone was laid August 16, 1924 and the building was completed by January 1926, although formal dedication was postponed until May to allow a more extensive ceremony with a parade, banquet and open house.
The building is 91 by 94 feet, and includes a full basement with a kitchen and dining rooms able to seat 600. The first floor held a lounge, billiards room, card room and library, while the second floor was a large social hall, with a stage at the east end and a balcony at mezzanine level. The upper two floors, intended for official lodge purposes, are ornately decorated with classical and Masonic symbols.
The exterior of the Masonic Temple was used to portray a bank building in the motion picture Public Enemies, which was partly filmed in Oshkosh in spring 2008.