Charles Kohlmann had the Kolmann Block Building built in 1875 (according to Assessor records), presumably after the Great Fire of 1875. He was a printer, publisher and book binder.
Brothers Charles and Valentine Kohlmann came from western Germany to Oshkosh in 1852, and were in the printing business in Oshkosh by May of that year, when they began publication of Anzeiger des Nordwesterns, the first German language newspaper in Oshkosh. This ceased publication in 1854, but in 1858 they tried again, with Wächter am Winnebago, later known as the Deutsche Volksblätter. It discontinued publication in October 1866, and was followed by the Wisconsin Telegraph, a German language weekly paper. The Kohlmanns sold that newspaper in 1885, but it continued publication until 1920.
Other items printed by the Kohlmanns include the first Oshkosh City Directory in 1857, and the General regulations of the public schools and rules of the Board of Education of the city of Oshkosh, adopted July 31st 1867.
Both of the brothers were active in local German-speaking societies. Additionally, Charles Kohlmann was an Oshkosh Alderman in the years 1860, 1863 and 1864. Valentine died in 1890 and Charles in 1892.
Harney, History of Winnebago County, 1878, p. 193
Oshkosh Daily Northwestern, April 15, 1890
Oshkosh Daily Northwestern, Sept 10, 1892, p. 8