John Hoernig came to Oshkosh in 1856, and opened his own meat market in 1862. He specialized in large orders for such businesses as the Beckwith House, steamboats and logging crews.
In May 1881 he took his son Charles A. Hoernig into the business as a partner, and then in October 1885 retired, leaving Charles to run the meat market.
Although he lived above his shop for many years, he built a house on Washington in the early 1880s, in preparation for his retirement. During the summer of 1884 he built a new two story building, 36 by 80 feet, to hold both the meat market and an adjacent store to be leased. It was described by the Daily Northwestern (Aug 11, 1884) as having stained glass windows and a pressed brick and terra cotta front. In the mid-1890s Hoernig also built a three story brick building holding seven flats, located on the same block as the meat market, at 19 Jefferson Street. He had other rental properties as well.
John Hoernig died in 1912.
*A William Waters Design