The First Baptist Temple at 138 Church Avenue, was organized on May 13, 1854. The first church was built in 1857 on Jefferson Street. This building was razed by the fire of 1875. The second church of the congregation was built in 1876 at the corner of Church and Central Street. This church was also razed by fire on February 6, 1901; the cause was thought to be in the heating system. The day after the fire it was decided to build a new church and shortly after that J. M Deal, of Lincoln, Illinois, was selected as the contractor & architect. Construction started in June of 1901, with Joseph T. Raycraft of Oshkosh as general contractor. It was designed in the Neoclassical Revival style and features pedimented roofs, large entablatures, and a dome. The building was dedicated on September 7, 1902.
*A William Waters Design