William Hill was a rich man who owned and operated The Peoples Market which sold fresh and salted meat in the 1800 ’s. In 1876 William Hill created a trendy business that sold dry goods and carpeting called William Hill & Co. The store is found at 439 North Main Street next to the Time Theater. Carpeting in houses was not heard of in the 1800’s because it was too pricey and was only placed in elaborate homes and some businesses. When William Hill & Co. arrived it was a sign Oshkosh was booming. In 1890 when the store closed, the store turned into about fourteen different stores with some of the more popular ones being The Bijou Theater from 1908-1912, The Majestic Theater from 1912-1920, Jeffery’s Lady Store from 1955- 1984. These businesses supplied with high-quality entertainment for all ages and some stylish looks for women. You can now find the store still standing as Camera Casino. Camera Casino has been a family run business for the past 45 years but has only been in the Historic building since 2008. The store is run by Jay Ratchman and his son Andy Ratchman.
Written By: Haley Edwards
Historic Location: William Hill and Co.