All over downtown Oshkosh there is history and some it has been burnt down to the ground while others still remain after being restored or even untouched. As a community we are trying to preserve our history so we have a better understanding of where we come from and who we are. Downtown there is very significant building to our communities history. The building was formerly known as The Beckwith House Hotel but it is now known as three buildings New Moon Cafe, House of Heros, and Satori Imports. The Beckwith didn’t always start as the Beckwith before its time it was The Empire Hotel and it was built by James Rea, but in 1875 it was burnt down in one of the great fires. The Beckwith was designed and built by William Waters in 1876 to replace the previous hotel.The building was burnt down yet again on December 3rd, 1880 after the tragic fire was started by a lantern being tipped over in the kitchen late one night, three people died that night including two employees. After the fire had destroyed the upper third and fourth floors and done some serious damage to the first two floors the owner, Samuel Beckwith was unable to supply the finances needed to rebuild the whole structure so he only had the first two floors restored. Through the many changes of structure and business names this building has really help shape our community throughout the many years. By first bringing in the wealthy and providing them a nice elegant place to stay and still having a place for business owners to groom their businesses to now present day being a small local cafe and providing a great family friendly place to go to with your family and enjoy some great food and drink options or maybe to even study. 401-407 North Main Street is full of history that hasn’t burnt.
Written By: Hailey Engelmann
Historic Location: The Beckwith Hotel